At the Doctor
A husband had a doctor's appointment and asked his wife to accompany
him. After the doctor thoroughly examined the husband, he spoke
to the wife.
The doctor said, Your husband has a - life-threatening illness
that needs special treatment and if he doesn't get it, he could die.
The wife replied, What is it? What can I can do to help my
The doctor said:
- Every day you must make him a good breakfast and send him off
to work in a pleasant frame of mind;
- Fix him a healthy lunch, when he comes home at noon and give
him lots of peace and quiet.
- When he comes home at night, have a wonderful meal already
prepared with all of his favorite foods. Don't ever ask him to help
with household chores and don't complain or upset him in any way;
- Make sure that he is sexually satisfied several times a week.
In time, your husband will be fully recovered if you follow each
of these steps.
When the husband and wife were driving home, the husband turned to his
wife and asked, What did the doctor say to you about my - check-up?
You're gonna die, she replied.
- complain - reclamar
- die - morrer
- frame of mind - estado de espirito
- healthy - saudavel
- household chores - tarefas da casa
- life-threatening illness - doenca grave
- lunch - almoco
- noon - meio-dia
- peace and quiet - paz e tranquilidade
- recover - recuperar
- thoroughly - completo, detalhado
- upset - aborrecer
»» Ouça também o áudio deste texto ««
Assine a lista EFR
Esta lista veicula diariamente uma história, preferencialmente engraçada
(afinal, quem não gosta de uma boa piada?), ou uma citação. As histórias
estão em inglês, e as palavras mais incomuns são comentadas. Dessa forma
os alunos aprendem, todos os dias, duas ou mais palavras novas. Todos
os dias. Em um ano esse pequeno esforço diário pode vir a fazer uma